Sinclair family

Sinclair family

Sunday, June 21, 2009

First Class fluke



Our flight home could not have been more perfect, at least from my perspective. Scott had an entirely different experience but we'll share the good stuff. We were scheduled to fly out of New York at 2pm. We arrived at our gate about 20 minutes before 1 and upon check-in didn't have seat assignments so we went to the gate and noticed there was another flight to Minneapolis leaving at 1. Upon asking, we were delighted to find out they would be able to put us on the earlier flight and not only that, but our luggage would be put through as well. (If only we were competing on The Amazing Race!) We weren't going to be able to sit next to each other but we felt like it was worth it to get home earlier. We took our boarding passes and walked over to board the plane.


The attendant stopped the gentleman ahead of me as she scanned his ticket and told him she was upgrading him to first class. I smiled as I handed her my ticket and said to her jokingly..."Do you want to upgrade my ticket as well?" She handed my ticket to another agent and just like that I was assigned a seat in first class. Now, this would be a truly fantastic story if I were to tell you there was one more seat available for Scott. Unfortunately for him it wasn't the case. I felt a bit guilty knowing that Scott would be sitting in coach while I sat in seat 2-D. Not having ever enjoyed the luxury of a first class seat, I had no idea what to expect.


The flight attendant came around with a basket of peanuts and cookies and allowed us to choose for ourselves what we wanted. They kept serving us beverages like we were in a restaurant. I thought it was nice and was thinking to myself...I am definitely going to pick out a cookie and coffee if they come around again. I was just about to clear off my tray and get back into my book when the attendant wheeled out another cart and started serving lunch. Yes. Lunch. With a choice of wine. So there I sat, acting as cool and collected as I could while I politely selected the Sauvingnon Blanc all the while thinking to myself..."I didn't even pay for this!" The rest of the flight home was quite lovely and very comfortable. The least I could do was save Scott the caramel cashew brownie which he did enjoy. I am certain I would never purchase a first class ticket but you can be sure I am going to always check to see if they need any volunteers for an upgrade!

No comments:

Blog Archive