Sinclair family

Sinclair family

Friday, February 4, 2011

Conversations with our 3 year old


Most three year olds say really funny things.  Ours is no exception.  Lately, a lot of our conversations have revolved around Baby.  Jacob is quite excited to play the role of big brother.  He already talks about he will rock (her), take (her) on bike rides, and he asks a lot of questions about Baby.  On numerous occasions he has asked how the baby is going to get out of my tummy.  I am usually quite vague and when he asked a couple of nights ago at bath time I told him the doctor will help me get him/her out at the hospital this summer when it is big enough.  He then asked me what kind of tools she would use.  I said "just her hands".  Then we moved onto something else.


This morning at breakfast we were talking about how Jacob's friend, Graham, gets a new little brother today.  He then asked where his (Jacob's) baby was and I said in Mommy's tummy.  The rest of the conversation went like this:

Jacob:  How's the baby going to come out of your tummy?
Nikki:  When he or she is big enough the doctor will help him/her out.
Jacob:  With her hands?
Nikki:  Yes.
Jacob:  Will she (he always refers to Baby as a she) come out of your belly button?
Nikki:  Um (debating if I should mislead him or just be honest)...yeah, kind of.
Jacob:  Will she use a knife?
Nikki:  Hopefully not.  (I don't want my child to think they use a knife to cut out my belly button and get Baby out...here we go..)  Mommies have a special opening between their legs where baby can come out.
Jacob:  I have legs.

Oh that kids makes me smile.

4 comments:

AuntSarahB said...

lol wish I could have been there. he is such a smartie!! so many questions and so interested!!

Anonymous said...

You did a pretty good job!!!!
These days I was taking a bath with Fatima (also 3...) and we had a conversation like that:
She looking at my belly button: mommy what is that?
me: That´s a belly buttom sweetie, you have one too, that´s were the food came from when you were a little baby in my tummy
Fatima: oh! mommy do you know I have a Panda in my tummy?
Me: Really?

Fatima: Yeah! And is coming out through a hole...
Me: REALLY? How´s that?
Fatima: (she showed me "the hole" under her arm) Yes, mommy, this hole here...
Anyway, I couldn´t see "the hole", but I could see how imaginative these kids can be!!!!! I´m sure you´ll have a LOT of fun with your two little ones!!!
Pat

Zarlings said...

I have tears I am laughing so hard... What kind of tools will she use? That is great! I just love it! They are too funny and can just move on to other things so quickly. Thanks for the giggle!

stacey said...

Too cute!! (the convo AND your baby bump!)

Blog Archive